February 3, 2023
During the renovation process at our Saco branch, construction workers uncovered marble flooring that was laid over 116 years ago, as well as an antique leaded glass window hidden behind the walls.
Superintendent of Benchmark Construction Marc Barron (left) and Owner of Frank’s Demolition Frank Brenton are pictured here standing next to a window that was uncovered during the lobby renovation process at our Saco branch.
This antique leaded glass window was discovered after the interior wall, located on the left side of our lobby Main Street entrance, was torn down. While we don’t currently have an accurate date as to when it was first installed, we do know it is a very cool find!
Our Saco branch location, built in 1907, was originally called Masonic Block. The building was designed by Penn Varney of Massachusetts and is notable for retaining two of its original occupants: Saco and Biddeford Savings Institution (that's us!) and the Masonic Lodge.